To Habit and to Hold



What habit is following you? Dame Lorraine traditional Carnival character section,
kiddies' Carnival band 2019, Frederick Street, Port-of-Spain.



If you follow the habit, the habit will follow you

 (First published Monday, January 7, 2002, under the column Bitch’s Brew.)


I KICKED MY sister’s fridge and had an epiphany.
An epiphany is “a moment of sudden and great revelation.”
See, the refrigerator that came with my new apartment has a funny door: it won’t close all the way unless I kick the lower part in. After only a short time of doing this it’s become a habit to me. So much so, I don’t even think, I just do it.
I kicked my sister’s fridge, the fridge at work and, naturally, my fridge at home – the only one that needs to be kicked.

Habit off the top



It’s immensely easy to get into a habit, even ones necessary only for very specific times and places. Send a thought somewhere often enough and you won’t need to keep sending it ... it’ll eventually start to go on its own.
While I noted the practice from the very first time I made the error, and I acknowledge it after each time I foot an ice-box which needs no urging to close, I have not yet been able to just stop myself from doing it.
We all know why: habits are easy to get into and oh so hard to break.
Hence why a lot of people proclaim, “Bother New Year’s resolutions!” and do not proceed to make any.
“What’s the sense? I’ll only break them,” rationalised a pal.
There can be no feat if the will insists “Defeat!”
I’m not saying never think about failure. But consider more why you always fail, as opposed to that you always fail.
Put more thought behind why you have resolved to change a habit than you put into how daunting it will be to drop the habit altogether.
Perhaps, then you will make some progress ... which would be a good habit to make.

Open up



Pause for a cause to get informed about the “Hidden Epidemic” endometriosis. Your knowledge may help save a life. Touch the link: ABC Endo: A Trini Survivor's Guide

Love looking into lively cultures? Get a taste of my sweet Trinidad and Tobago via free, downloadable images at: Jhaye-Q Trinbago photography




0 Comments